A dental implant is a metal post that is surgically placed into the jawbone and acts as a replacement for the missing tooth root. It is a permanent replacement for missing teeth. The implant includes a screw-like metal post and a ceramic crown that looks and functions like your natural teeth. Dental implants help restore the ability to bite, chew and maintain the integrity of the facial structure.
What are the benefits of dental implants?
- Replacing missing teeth with implants is highly beneficial as it helps maintain the facial structure and prevent bone loss.
- Implants are customizable, allowing dentists to create crowns to match your natural teeth.
- Implants offer excellent strength and stability as they are made from metal.
- Implants can be used to replace one or several missing teeth as per requirement.
- Implants restore oral functionality as they allow you to bite, chew and speak normally, just like natural teeth do.
- Implants improve the quality of life of patients as they restore their smile, self-image, and confidence.
Who can get a dental implant?
Patients who want to get a dental implant should meet a few basic requirements to qualify for the procedure. The candidate must have:
- A healthy immune system
- Not suffered from oral infections in the past
- The patient must not have any chronic diseases that require ongoing medication
- Must not be suffering from gum diseases
- Must have sufficient jawbone volume and density to support the implant
What is the process involved in getting a dental implant?
The dentist will examine your mouth to determine if you are eligible for getting an implant. The patient will be asked to rest assured that they will be in safe hands when they visit our office. After qualifying for an implant, the dentist in Aloha OR will administer local anesthesia to numb the jawbone and gums. A small incision is made on the gums, into which a small portion of the tooth root is inserted into place using surgical tools. A healing period is given to allow the bone to grow around the metal post, during which patients are advised not to eat hard foods or brush their teeth with force. Once healing is complete, an abutment is attached to the metal post with the help of dental adhesives, and a temporary crown will be placed on it. The temporary crown allows you to test the bite and check if it fits well before permanent crowns are made and bonded to it. During this process, photos will be taken for color and shade matching for permanent crowns. After receiving your consent, dentists make permanent crowns from porcelain material that matches your existing teeth' color completely.
Please reach out to our dental practice at 17952 SW Blanton St, Aloha, OR 97078, to have a consultation with our dentists. Call us at (503) 649-5665 or schedule an online consultation, and we'll guide you further.